Emergency kits are definitely underrated, but their usefulness can’t be understated. You’ll definitely be glad you made one if an emergency ever does happen. The first time I had to endure a blizzard in Providence I had no idea how to prepare. I rushed to get extra food and had nothing prepared for a power outage. To avoid my mistake here are some essentials to consider putting in your personal safety kit.
- Food- three day supply of non-perishable food
- Water-one gallon per person per day for three days
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Candles and safety matches
- Can opener
- Extra cell phone battery or solar charger
- Whistle or something else that will allow you to signal for help
- Cleansing agent/soap and antibiotic towelettes
- Antibiotic and burn ointment
- Adhesive bandages in a variety of sizes
- Scissors and tweezers
- Copies of vital documents
For more information, look at http://www.ready.gov/kit
What else do you have in your emergency kit? Share your tips with us!